Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shine!

I love candy, especially the chocolate variety. As we come up on Halloween, I almost always hear conflict about celebrating the holiday. Growing up, my mom taught us that the day itself (along with dressing up and trick-or-treating) is not evil. It is only evil if you make it evil. And, since none of us worship the devil-on Halloween or any other day-October 31st has been a fun fall day for us. I recently heard my Mom say, “Darkness only prevails where there is no light.” How true is that?! 

When I am sleeping, I like for my bedroom to be as dark as possible. Since I work at night, I usually sleep during the daytime. It is hard to keep the sunshine out during the day, so I wear an eye mask to shield my eyes from the light. But, sometimes I move around a lot in my sleep, so my mask makes its way up on my forehead. It doesn’t take long for me to wake up because of the light shining in my eyes. Even if the mask doesn’t move much, it will get twisted just enough that lights starts peeping in around the edge of my mask.

Have you ever considered the light your life shines on those around you? Hopefully they don’t want to hide from it like I try to get away from the light when I sleep. J But, your light can be a powerful thing. Psalm 112:4 NLT says, “Light shines in darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.” John 1:4-5 NLT says, “The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.” 

Instead of standing back and allowing darkness to have its time, why not bring in the Light? Psalm 27:1a NLT says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation.”  So, let your light shine, and save me some chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment