Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Hug or a Hamburger

One of my favorite TV shows is “The Closer” on TNT. It follows the life of a female detective who is from Atlanta, Georgia but lives and works in Los Angeles, California. On one of the episodes that I recently watched, the detective said, “It never hurts to start with being nice.” I read a story awhile back that I’d like to share.
Scott was walking home one day when a boy ahead of him tripped and dropped all of the books he was carrying, along with two sweaters, a baseball bat, and a glove. Scott knelt down and helped the boy pick up the scattered articles. They were going the same way, so he helped carry part of the load. As they walked, Scott discovered the boy’s name was Will, that he loved video games, baseball, and history; and, that he was having lots of trouble with his other subjects and that he had just broken up with his girlfriend. They went to Will’s home and watched some television, laughing and sharing small talk. Then, Scott went home.
They continued to see each other around school, had lunch together once or twice, then both graduated from middle school. They ended up in the same high school, and had some interaction over the years. Then, finally, they were seniors. Will asked Scott if they could talk. Will reminded him of the day years ago when they had first met. “Did you ever wonder why I was carrying so much stuff home that day?” asked Will, “I cleaned out my locker because I didn’t want to leave a mess for anyone else. I was depressed, and I was going home to commit suicide. But after we spent some time together talking and laughing, I realized that if I had killed myself, I would have missed that time and so many others that might follow. So you see, Scott, when you picked up those books that day, you did a lot more, you saved my life.
In Matthew 25:35-40, Christ said, “I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me in. I needed clothes, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you looked after me. I was in prison, and you came to visit me.” Then the righteous will answer Him, “Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?” The King will reply, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”
You never know when someone has been placed in your life as a test of your character. So, share a hug or a hamburger with someone; it could change their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment